21st Century Literacy

It’s late, and I’m tired and hungry, but I just have to blog quickly about this before going to bed.

First, I’ve started learning about how literacy is changing and what it will mean to be a literate person in the 21st century. First I viewed an excellent video by Clarence Fisher as part of the K12 Online Conference. He described the history of literacy and then bridged into what qualities are needed to be literate now. I also have been paying attention to David Warlick and just yesterday received a copy of his book Redefining Literacy for the 21st Century. I’ve read only the first few pages, but it promises to be another excellent resource.

I am learning that we need to be able to communicate with the many mediums that are available to us now (text, graphics, video, audio, etc.)

Tonight I was grading PowerPoint presentations that my seniors created to support their research papers. The last one to grade for tonight ended up being the hidden gem. The student gave his oral presentation in class today, and he had a hyperlink on one slide, but since the Internet was down AGAIN at school (we won’t get into that nightmare here…) he was not able to show us what he linked to. At home tonight, I was able to check it out, and the most wonderful surprise was waiting for me at the other end of the click. He had embeded the link to a YouTube video. It was so cool. (Of course, it would be blocked at school unfortunately.) His report was on the literature of Greece, and he found a terrific 4-minute video about Greek heroes. It was the icing on the cake, the one little detail that really put his work over the top. Ahh, a literate 18 year old. I feel better about sending this one off into the world soon. He’s ready. He’s literate. He’ll be great out there.

Technorati Tags:

One thought on “21st Century Literacy

1. Nancy,

What a wonderful story.

His report was on the literature of Greece, and he found a terrific 4-minute video about Greek heroes. It was the icing on the cake, the one little detail that really put his work over the top.

And the network was blocked. What does school look like to kids, when it serves to wall them in from the information they need?

So sad!

— dave —